22 October 2008

The 1900 Galveston Hurricane in Canada

Yesterday, and every so often I'm told I've been spotted on TV. Usually it's a rerun of a Disasters of the Century episode on the Galveston hurricane of 1900 ... it's a mixed blessing to be associated with a disaster of the century!

I'd done research into the havoc caused by the same weather system as hit Galveston. It was no longer a hurricane in Canada but still tens of lives were lost.

With another hurricane having devastated Galveston in September 2008 I suppose its inevitable that show would get renewed airplay.

A summary of my research on the 1900 event in Canada used to be at a website I compiled on Weather Prediction in the 19th and Early 20th Centuries: A Canadian Perspective. Courtesy of the Internet Archive, if you know where to look you can still read that article -- here's a link.

No comments: